BlueDot is growing and as a result we are looking for Vice President, Finance to join our team!
Reporting to the Chief Operations Officer, you will be responsible for the design, oversight and day to day management of BlueDot’s finance function as we rapidly scale the business over the next few years.
Who we are:
BlueDot protects people around the world from infectious diseases using human and artificial intelligence. Our software-as-a-service solution combines medical and public health expertise with advanced data analytics to track, contextualize, and mitigate infectious disease risks. Our global early warning system combines more than 100 datasets with proprietary algorithms to deliver critical insights on the spread of infectious diseases. In December 2019, we flagged an undiagnosed respiratory syndrome in Wuhan, China. In January 2020, we published the world's first scientific paper on COVID-19, accurately predicting its global spread. Our team understands the complexity of the challenge in front of us – and that the urgency to solve the problem has never been greater.
We are a Certified B Corp, have a Glassdoor rating of 4.7, are Diversio certified, a 2020 LinkedIn Top Start-Up and have been recognized as a Top 50 Best Place to Work in Canada, Best Place to Work for Women, Best in Technology, Best for Youth, and Best Start-Up!
Driven by a Purpose Bigger than Ourselves
United in a common purpose to create a healthier, safer, and more secure world, free from the impacts of dangerous infectious diseases, we understand the complexity of the challenge in front of us, and that it is so much bigger than any one of us. Together, we are motivated to positively impact lives around the world, to do no harm, and to elevate each other through respect and encouragement. Building careers through collaborative discovery and learning, our people tackle complex challenges with diverse expertise not assembled elsewhere. We promote personal fulfillment in the workplace by removing barriers, politics and exclusion, believing in the philosophy that by creating a positive environment we all have the opportunity do the most meaningful work of our lives.
Our values are not just words on a wall. They are our compass and they guide us in our work, in the decisions we make and in how we treat each other:
- Be the Change (our heart) - Making a meaningful difference through our work - for each other, for our customers, and for the world. Taking initiative, ownership, and action.
- Think Without Borders (our mind) - Freeing our minds from conventional thinking, discovering without fear of failure, and learning from our customers - we make impossible challenges possible.
- Lift Others Up (our soul) - Creating space for all those inspired by our purpose, elevating each other and fostering mutual growth. Our unique perspectives valued, respected and included.
What you will do in more detail
- Design the most efficient processes, hire the right team, and implement the correct systems to achieve our A/R and A/P goals, redesign our accounting implementation to provide more granular transaction categorization, correct categorization of all our transactions within our Accounting system and real-time reconciliations with external systems (IE bank statements, vendors, customer)
- Ensure GAAP compliance
- Provide Department Heads with cash-based Actuals vs. Budget reports
- Ensure BlueDot is Tax compliant within all jurisdictions in which it operates – Sales Tax, Income Tax, Payroll Tax, Customs and Duties etc.
- Provide Actual KPI and PI reporting to management.
- Ensure the company is compliant with all external Financial and Metrics reporting obligations IE Board members, Investors, Lenders, Grantors.
- Oversee our year-end Audit process
- Create and maintain a financial model that will accurately predict the outcomes of management decisions and the existing operating plan on the Financial and Metrics of the company.
- Continually reforecast assumptions and the future of the business on a monthly basis based on actuals and on-going revisions to the strategy.
- Secure future fundraising by ensuring all due diligence material is provided to potential investors in a timely manner.
- Manage company governance including the accurate and timely reporting and executions of Cap Table, ESOP and Board Resolutions
- Based on analysis and understanding of the key drivers of company metrics, provide the Senior Leadership team insights on how to improve the business.
- Identify opportunities to improve key metrics, including revenue, gross margin, and operating burn
- Working closely with People and Culture hire all necessary team members to support the Finance function for the next 18 months, mentor and actively coach, ensure clear career path definitions and support growth objectives for all team members
- Mentor and actively coach team members
What you bring to BlueDot
- Passionate about wanting to help make the world healthier, safer, and more prosperousand alignment with our vision and our values
- CPA/CA. MBA ideal (with a finance focus)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business, or related discipline
- 10+ years’ experience in an accounting/finance role outside of professional accounting. Experience with full cycle accounting.
- Demonstrated experience with building financial models, business cases, and fundraising venture capital
- Experience working in a high growth start-up and SaaS business
- Strong people leader with depth of experience hiring and developing finance teams
- Strong communication skills (oral, writing, and presentation) and ability to collaborate cross functionally.
- Thrive in fast-paced, highly collaborative environments
- Extremely organized and motivated self-starter
- Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize what matters most for the business
- Experience working with government partners and grant accounting
- Expert knowledge in QuickBooks and Excel
- Strong analytical skills with exceptional attention to detail
What we offer our team:
- Meaningful work that truly has purpose
- As a smaller, agile team, we offer roles with impact
- Your contributions are integral, your voice will be heard
- A competitive comprehensive compensation package
- Outstanding health, vision and dental benefits
- Employee and Family Assistance Plan
- A health and wellness spending account
- Generous vacation and other PTO
- A home office setup allowance
We are working fully remotely due to COVID-19 until at least January 2022 – post pandemic we will continue with our remote first culture with the opportunity for a hybrid/flexible office space in downtown Toronto accessible to our team but without the requirement to work from the office.
Together let’s create a healthier, safer, and more prosperous world.
For more information, visit us at: http://bluedot.global.
BlueDot recognizes that challenges remain in achieving the full participation of equity-seeking groups (including women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minority/racialized groups, and members of LGBTQ2+) in tech careers and is committed to identifying and eliminating barriers that may exist within its own hiring process, programs, and practices.
BlueDot is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please let us know how we can best meet your needs and advise us of any accommodations required to ensure fair and equitable access throughout the recruitment and selection process.
We thank and appreciate all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please no agency calls.