We currently require a full-time predictive modeller to help us improve our products that predict when and where infectious diseases will spread. Tasks will include ownership and improvement of existing forecasting methods for COVID-19, development and implementation of predictive models or forecasting methods in web applications and digital dashboards, and the creation and maintenance of a predictive modelling and forecasting strategic roadmap. Specifically, this role will involve working closely with product managers, data engineers, full-stack developers, as well as epidemiologists and infectious disease modellers. The candidate will occasionally support predictive modelling components of professional services, especially for urgent client requests related to COVID-19, and will support data engineers help to obtain, process, and manage large datasets as needed.
Who we are:
BlueDot protects people around the world from infectious diseases using human and artificial intelligence. Our software-as-a-service solution combines medical and public health expertise with advanced data analytics to track, contextualize, and mitigate infectious disease risks. Our global early warning system combines more than 100 datasets with proprietary algorithms to deliver critical insights on the spread of infectious diseases. In December 2019, we flagged an undiagnosed respiratory syndrome in Wuhan, China. In January 2020, we published the world's first scientific paper on COVID-19, accurately predicting its global spread.
Our team understands the complexity of the challenge in front of us – and that the urgency to solve the problem has never been greater. BlueDot’s culture as described by our people is the diversity, openness, creativity, respect, intelligence, and kindness we share with each other. We are hard workers, motivated by a common purpose and excited to collaborate with a team who come from diverse backgrounds and schools of thought. We are a Certified B Corp, which means we meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency. We have also been recognized as a Best Place to Work for Women, Best in Technology, Best for Youth, Best StartUp and a top 25 Best Workplace in the country!
Our shared values:
Our values are not just words on a wall. They are our compass and they guide us in our work, in the decisions we make and in how we treat each other:
- Driven by Purpose - We are united by a purpose that is bigger than ourselves. We are on a mission to create a healthier, safer and more prosperous world.
- Do No Harm - Dealing with lives, we must be intentional, diligent, and precise.
- Think Without Borders - When we free our minds from conventional thinking, impossible challenges become possible.
- Strength in Diversity - We’re better at solving complex problems when we draw from our diverse backgrounds and experiences. We are composed of an intentionally eclectic collective of people with varying expertise united in a singular desire to outsmart infectious disease, every voice is heard and valued.
- Success from Happiness - We believe that happiness is an essential ingredient for success.
What you will do in more detail:
- Deliver innovative and accurate customer-facing epidemic and pandemic spread predictions using forecasting, predictive modelling, and statistical techniques
- Collaborate with product developers and data engineers to build the code and automation capabilities for predictive models implemented in BlueDot web applications
- Support predictive modelling methods for enhanced solutions in urgent COVID-19 outlook reports and risk assessments
- Summarize and communicate complex forecasting scenarios and corresponding product enhancements in simplified presentations to analysts, senior leadership, and clients
- Develop and maintain a prediction & forecasting ‘roadmap’ with key research and product development milestones
- Prepare scientific manuscripts for submission to reputable peer-reviewed journals based on validation of predictive models using observed data, as needed
- Develop and maintain a data procurement table, including recommended data sets, critical in enhancing BlueDot’s epidemic forecasting solutions
- Collaborate with BlueDot staff on other teams (eg. Surveillance, Data Engineering, Technology, Design) during product development cycles and to ensure the success of inter-team projects
- Maintain documentation on data and methods
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of the position
What you have done to get here:
- Completed a degree in Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Data Science, or related field (at least M.Sc. or equivalent); PhD considered a strong asset
- 2-4 years’ applied modelling experience preferred; domain knowledge in public health and/or infectious disease considered an asset
- Demonstrated expertise in epidemic forecasting and strong statistical and predictive modelling skillset (e.g., forecasting, time series modelling, network modelling, bayesian inference, stochastic modelling, etc.).
- Experience using data science methods for prediction and forecasting (e.g., machine learning, data mining, neural networks, etc.) as well as statistical techniques to comfortably mitigate the effects of bias and confounding
- Highly skilled in python and comfortable using R. Skills in SQL, ArcGIS, or SAS an asset.
- Experience sourcing, procuring, managing, and processing Big Data with other complex and messy data sources using data pipelines, data warehouses, and APIs
- Strong oral and written communication skills, with demonstrated experience translating complex results for diverse community of clients and stakeholders
- Ability to work collaboratively with other team members in a dynamic workplace
- Excellent problem solving skills and able to engage in self-directed learning
- Experience working in an agile, incremental framework considered a strong asset
What we offer our team:
- Meaningful work that truly has purpose
- As a smaller, agile team, we offer roles with impact
- Your contributions are integral, your voice will be heard
- A competitive comprehensive compensation package
- Outstanding health, vision and dental benefits
- Employee and Family Assistance Plan
- A health and wellness spending account
- Generous vacation and other PTO
- A home office setup allowance
We are working remotely due to COVID-19 until at least January 2022.
Together let’s create a healthier, safer, and more prosperous world.
For more information, visit us at: http://bluedot.global.
BlueDot is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a diverse, inclusive and accessible workplace for all. All qualified applicants will receive fair consideration without regard to race, religion, citizenship, colour, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, marital status, disability, or other protected characteristics.
BlueDot is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please let us know how we can best meet your needs and advise us of any accommodations required to ensure fair and equitable access throughout the recruitment and selection process.
We thank and appreciate all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.